Aims. The mRNA level for interleukin-6 (IL-6) is an important marker of osteoarthritis (OA). The present study aimed to investigate the level of IL-6 mRNA in the cartilage of OA knee while comparing it to the normal cartilage obtained from the same patient. Materials and Methods. A total of 21 patients who underwent total knee replacement were recruited for this study. Sectioning of the destructive cartilage was performed in the medial part of the proximal tibiofemoral cartilage. The unaffected lateral part of the knee in the same patient, served as a control. The mRNA level for IL-6 was assessed using LightCycler®2.0 quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR). ß-actin mRNA was used as an endogenous control. Results. Twelve out of 21 patients (57.1%) exhibited up regulation of IL-6 mRNA in the OA cartilage as compared to the normal cartilage. The rest of the patients (42.9%) showed down regulation of IL-6 mRNA. The statistical analysis showed there was insignificant level of IL-6 mRNA in the OA (1.91 ± 0.45) as compared to the normal cartilage (1.13 ± 0.44) (p > 0.05). The inter-individual variation in the level of IL-6 mRNA in the cartilage of idiopathic knee was in accordance with previous findings. Conclusions. These observations suggest IL-6 could also act as a catabolic agent in some patients or its expression might be influenced by other cytokines.
|Number of pages||4|
|Publication status||Published - Jan 2010|
- Real-time PCR
ASJC Scopus subject areas