Creating an enabling environment for renewable energy application in the sultanate of Oman

Y. Charabi*, A. H. Al-Badi

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

4 Citations (Scopus)


The Sultanate of Oman holds a greatest potential of renewable energy. Despite this important potential, the electricity sector in Oman is primarily fueled by natural gas and oil. As of 2012, 97.5% of the installed electricity capacity was fueled by natural gas and the remaining 2.5% was fueled by diesel. The sustained growth of the population and the expansion of heavy industry have put a strain on Omans power infrastructure. The aim of the study is to raise the question of renewable energy to the attention of the policymakers and to the interested public from the angle of policies and to stimulate the discussion about the future energy supply in the country. This article discusses, from policies perspective, how to create an enabling environment for renewable energy in the Sultanate of Oman. The article suggests, a summary of the main actions to ensure transition to renewable energy supply. The recommended actions were issued from consultative process with public and private stakeholders. To develop Omans renewable energy base, it is essential to develop a facilitating environment which includes appropriate policies, regulations, focused institutions, tailored education and skill development initiatives, focused research, and development projects, financing schemes and favorable market scenarios.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1169-1177
Number of pages9
JournalInternational Journal of Green Energy
Issue number11
Publication statusPublished - Nov 2 2015


  • Policy
  • Renewable energy
  • Transition

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Renewable Energy, Sustainability and the Environment


Dive into the research topics of 'Creating an enabling environment for renewable energy application in the sultanate of Oman'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this